Apr 21, 2015

Are You Living With a Drip?

Category: General
Posted by: kdeadmin

What to do when you have a water leak.

Water leaks can cause real problems for home owners. Small leaks can go undetected for months or even years, while large leaks can quickly cause thousands of pounds' worth of damage. Here's our guide on how to find them and what to do.

A large water leak, caused, for example, by a failing joint or burst pipe, will be obvious. Turn off the mains water stopcock as soon as you can, and call your plumber.

When you move into a new property, it's always worth locating the stopcock immediately so that you don't waste time in an emergency - they're normally placed under the kitchen sink or where water pipes enter the property.

Small or slow water leaks can be harder to spot.

Signs of a possible slow water leak

  • The sound of running or dripping water when you know no taps are turned on
  • A water bill that's higher than expected
  • Damp patches on walls or ceilings
  • Low water pressure
  • Green plants growing near pipes, especially during hot weather

It may not always be your responsibility to repair a leak, depending on whereabouts in the water system it is. The service pipe and communication pipe are what connects your property to the mains, and leaks from these pipes are normally the responsibility of the water company. You should contact them to report any potential problems.

The section of the pipe running from the boundary of your property into the house is called the supply pipe, and leaks from this pipe will normally be the responsibility of the home owner. If you share the supply pipe with other people, they may also share the responsibility for maintaining it - again, it's best to establish this when you move into the property.

If the leak is from your section of the pipe, it's best to call in a qualified plumber to investigate. Calling in an expert will help minimise inconvenience and potential damage to your property, and you'll be up and running again as quickly as possible. Most professional companies also offer an emergency call-out service.

Our qualified plumbers are available to help with all domestic and commercial water leak problems, from dripping taps and burst pipes, to give you and your family peace of mind. For more information or advice, call us today on 01928 711444.